Winston County AL Probate

Marriage License

NEW Marriage Process - Alabama Act 2019-340
Effective August 29, 2019, the process for entering into a legal marriage in Alabama changes, pursuant to Ala. Act 2019-340. Under the new law, persons wishing to become married are no longer required to file an application for a marriage license with the county probate court, and the courts will no longer issue marriage licenses. Furthermore, all Alabama probate courts will now be required to record marriage certificates. The Alabama Marriage Certificate form represents a contractual agreement between the parties to the marriage, completed by both parties and delivered to the probate court for recording. Once properly completed and recorded, the marriage is valid. A wedding ceremony may be performed for the parties, but solemnization is no longer required for a recognized marriage in Alabama.

Information, forms and instructions are available on the Alabama Department of Public Health's website at

View the signed bill here: Ala.Act 2019-340

Alabama Marriage Certificate FAQ & Other Resources For additional information and answers to commonly asked questions of the Court, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.) below.

Alabama Marriage Certificate Forms For ease of reference, links to the forms & instructions are listed below:
For Adults - Form/Instructions for Completing and Filing an Alabama Marriage Certificate  |  File Certificate Online
For Minors - Form/Instructions for Completing and Filing an Alabama Marriage Certificate [16-17 years of age]  |  File Certificate Online

Please note: The form should be printed on 8.5 x 11 inch white or light paper, front side only, as actual size, not fit to page or another modified size.

After the form is completed and notarized by an Alabama notary, the parties will submit the form and $74.00 filing fee (in person) with 30 calendar days to the Probate Office in Double Springs for recording. The 30-day period for recording the document in Probate Court commences when the last party executes the document. The form must be legible and all requested information must be provided. Incomplete forms or forms containing white-out or other corrective marks will not be accepted. It is the responsibility of the parties to ensure the accuracy of the information provided. The fee of $74.00 includes one certified copy. You must bring your certificate and payment (money order or cashier’s check made payable to the judge of Probate) or pay with cash or credit or debit card, in person. NO business or personal checks are accepted.

Notary services for the form will not be provided by the Probate Office

Alabama Marriage Certificate Corrections

If corrections are required to an Alabama Marriage Certificate that has already been recorded, please refer to the instructions and correction for below:

 Guidelines for Amending Marriage Cert

 Amendment to Marriage Cert and Decree of Correction

Obtaining a Certified Copy

If recorded in Winston County, you may order certified copies of your Marriage License (if married prior to 08/29/2019) or Marriage Certificate (if married after/after 08/29/2019) from the Winston County Probate Office. The fee is $3.00 per copy and you may request a copy through the mail, if you send the fee via money order or cashier’s check, made payable to the Judge of Probate. Please include a self- addressed stamped envelope. If you make an in-office request, there are additional payment options of cash or credit/debit card (service fees apply). Complete the online request form (see below) and mail to the following address:

Request For Certified Marriage Certificate Copies

Judge of Probate
Marriage Section
PO Box 27
Double Springs, AL 35553

Copies can also be obtained from the Alabama Department of Public Health for a fee